What kind of food is fried-out Kombi???
I do love my 80’s music, punk, new-wave, industrial. That is me spinning round round baby like a what ever it is…
Men at Work’s Songs including “Down Under” is full of Australian slang, which is what made much of it indecipherable to those of us above the Equator.
The whole verse: “Traveling in a fried-out Kombi” … “He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich” … “Where beer does flow and men chunder”
A “Kombi” is what is officially called a Volkswagen Type 2 in Oz, but the nickname comes from its German moniker: Kombinationskraftwagen. Americans know it better as a VW Microbus.
Vegemite is an Aussie favorite—a spreadable paste made from brewer’s yeast, vegetables, wheat, and some assorted spices. They slather it on toast, hide it inside pastries, and layer it between slices of bread to make a delectable sandwich.
Chunder is what a lot of folks do after consuming too much beer, or other alcohol, or spoiled food, or during a bout of the flu. In other words, el barfo.
- too busy to text you back - January 22, 2020
- The texting has stopped - January 18, 2020
- Taking care of business - January 15, 2020
- Am I cute? - January 11, 2020
- Mean Girlfriend - January 8, 2020
- Drunken Blame - January 4, 2020
- Drunk - January 1, 2020
- the end of the sale - December 28, 2019
- Do they want you? - December 25, 2019
- Superiority complex - December 21, 2019
- Drunk at work - December 18, 2019
- a job? - December 14, 2019